Homeworks academic service

Father wilhelm kleinsorges account of the atomic bombing of japan

She is a widow of a tailor who is raising her three children 10-year-old boy Toshio, eight-year-old girl Yaeko, and five-year-old girl Myekohusband recently died in Singapore in the war effort.

He is described as hedonistic, owns private hospital that contains 30 rooms for patients with modern equipment, family living in Osaka and Kyushu, convivial and calm. He was 25 years old, a young surgeon at the Red Cross Hospital. He lived with his mother in Mukaihara, an idealist, upset with poor health services and practiced medicine in communities with poor health care without a permit, not related to Miss Toshiko Sasaki.

The explosion occurred at exactly 8: She was covered with a bookshelf while the building collapsed around her. While sitting on his porch, Dr. After returning to her home from a safe area, Mrs. Standing alone in a corridor, Dr.

Sasaki remained untouched except his glasses and shoes had been blown off his body. Sasaki was now the only doctor to be unhurt in the hospital and the hospital was quickly filled with patients. Immediately after the explosion, Reverend Tanimoto ran in father wilhelm kleinsorges account of the atomic bombing of japan of his family and parishioners.

He puts aside the search for his family when he comes across people in need of help and then resumes the search for his family. Nakamura travels with her children and neighbor to Asano Park at the Jesuit mission house. Nakamura and her children are continuously vomiting.

Father Kleinsorge is found wandering the mission grounds with numerous pieces of glass in his back. Father Kleinsorge ran into his room and grabbed a first aid kit and his suitcase containing money and paperwork of the mission.

Father Kleinsorge and others go out and bring food back for everyone at Asano Park. People were throwing up everywhere. He became like a robot, repeating treatment on patient after patient.

Miss Sasaki still lies unconscious under the bookshelf and crumbled building. Her leg is only severely broken. She is propped up alongside two badly wounded people and left.

Chronicles of Disaster: Hiroshima in the Yale University Library Archives

Father Kleinsorge sets off for Asano Park. Tanimoto has crossed town to find his family and parishioners. He apologizes to the wounded as he passes by for not being injured.

They split up so that she may return to Ushida and he may take care of the church.

Hiroshima: the true account of hell on earth

On August 12, the Nakamuras continued to be sick and discovered the rest of their family had perished. Tanimoto continues to ferry people from one side of the river to the other in hopes of bringing them to safety from the fires. Father Kleinsorge, weakened by his injuries and previous illness, remains in the Park. He is finally welcomed by the Japanese and no longer feels like a foreigner.

His left clavicle is broken and is covered in many deep cuts. Ten thousand wounded have shown up at the Red Cross Hospital. Sasaki is still trying to attend to as many people as possible. All that can be done is to put saline on the worst burns.

Dead patients were lying everywhere. Miss Sasaki is still left with no help outside the factory. Finally friends come to locate her body and she is transferred to a hospital. At the end of the chapter, on August 15, the war is over. Four square miles of the city had been completely destroyed.

Since the bombing, Hiroshima has been flooded which continued chaos and destruction.

Navigation menu

Many people are now developing radiation sickness and a hatred for the Americans has been festering but decreased once Hiroshima was designated to have safe radiation levels. Even into September, Father Kleinsorge is getting worse. He was taken to the hospital for a high fever, anemia and low leukocyte levels.

Nakamura still felt nauseated and her hair began to fall out. Once given the okay that the radiation levels in Hiroshima were acceptable and her appearance was presentable, she returned to her home to retrieve her sewing machine but it was rusted and ruined. Tanimoto also fell ill without any notice. His fever reached 104 degrees Fahrenheit and he was given Vitamin B1 injections to combat the radiation disease. Miss Sasaki remains hospitalized and in pain.

  • Father Wilhelm Kleinsorge continued to suffer from radiation exposure;
  • During the war, he served with the Yale Medical Unit in the Pacific theater;
  • Since the bombing, Hiroshima has been flooded which continued chaos and destruction.

The infection has prevented doctors from being able to set her fractured leg. She was discharged from the hospital at the end of April but was severely crippled. He has been noting that many survivors are continuing to experience strange problems. He bought a new clinic in a Hiroshima suburb and once healed began a successful practice.

Sasaki has been studying the progression of patients and assigned three stages to the disease. After six months, the Red Cross Hospital began to function normally. He remained the only surgeon on staff but finally had time to get married in March. One year after the bombing, Miss Sasaki was a cripple; Mrs. Nakamura was destitute; Father Kleinsorge was back in the hospital; Dr.

Sasaki was not capable of the work he had once done; Dr. Fujii had lost the thirty-room hospital it took him many years to acquire, and no prospects of rebuilding it; Mr.

His record of what he found became chapter 5 in subsequent editions of the book. The Japanese initially refused to take any responsibility for the American atomic bombing or the population affected.

The victims were discriminated against, and many employers refused to hire a hibakusha because they could not work as hard. Their exposure, called " A-bomb sickness " in Japan, left them with chronic weakness, dizziness and digestive issues, among others.

In 1954, the Lucky Dragon No. This law allowed for medical attention for the hibakusha and a monthly allowance for them. For a time, Mrs. Nakamura made only enough income to get by and feed her family. She fell ill and could no longer work. To receive treatment, she was forced to sell her sewing machine. She worked odd jobs like delivering bread where she could take three or four days off to recover before working again.

She continued to earn just enough to survive. She worked at the mothball factory for 13 years but did not immediately sign up for her health allowance through the A-bomb Victims Medical Care Law. She was invited to be a member of the Bereaved Family Association and traveled the father wilhelm kleinsorges account of the atomic bombing of japan. Terufumi Sasaki, who suffered no side effects from the bombing, was haunted by the images of the Red Cross Hospital after the bombing.

How John Hersey's Hiroshima revealed the horror of the bomb

Sasaki quit working at the Red Cross Hospital. He started his own practice in his hometown and normally performed simple surgeries. He decided to build a geriatric hospital. He continued to regret not keeping better track of all the cremated bodies at the hospital. Father Wilhelm Kleinsorge continued to suffer from radiation exposure. In 1958, he was named the priest at a much larger church in another part of town.

He became a Japanese citizen and changed his name to Father Makoto Takakura. He fell into a coma and died on November 19, 1977. There were always fresh flowers on his grave. Over a 14-month period she underwent orthopedic surgery to improve the condition of her leg.

After working in an orphanage for five years, she became a nun with the Society of the Helpers of Holy Souls. Her final vows were said in 1953. She was quickly noticed for her potential and made a director of the Garden of St.

Joseph, an old people's home. She retired in 1978 and was rewarded with a trip to the Holy See. She did volunteer work and spent two years as Mother Superior at Misasa, where she had undergone her novitiate. Fujii built a new medical practice in Hiroshima. He has been lucky and faces no long-lasting effects of the A-bomb sickness. Fujii died on January 12, 1973.

Library Services

Kiyoshi Tanimoto continued to preach the gospel to the people rebuilding in Hiroshima. He was brought to the United States by the Methodist Board of Missions to raise money for his church. On March 5, 1949, his memorandum, Hiroshima Ideas, was published. In 1950, he returned to America for his second speaking tour. On this trip, he spoke to members of the House Foreign Affairs Committee.